Hours of work: 6 hrs per week week, April to November 2020
Whilst the garden has a small group of regular users we would love to see the garden used by more local residents. We are recruiting a community engagement worker with some gardening knowledge, who can use innovative community outreach and engagement activities to encourage the local community especially those living in the neighbouring flats and residents with BAME and low-income backgrounds to get involved and get growing.
- Increase involvement of local people in the garden.
- Run regular mid week sessions for families, and at the weekend
Build strong relationships with existing users and develop a good understanding of what local people want from the space.
- Plan a wide range of events that draw in and involve local residents, school, corporate volunteers and other partners.
- Plan engaging and participatory activities, which are designed to build participants’ sustainable food growing skills and ability to plan and manage the allotment
- Use wide variety of methods to promote the garden and the centre locally, including going door to door and representing the garden at different local events.
- Spend time getting to know local residents and work together to overcome barriers to their involvement.
- Applicants should complete an application form available from Sharon Fitton at RISC, 35-39 London Street, Reading RG1 4PS or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Position to start by the end of April.