Reading Voluntary Action is delighted to partner with Reading Community Energy Society in their 2021–22 Community Grants scheme. RVA will be promoting and managing the scheme on behalf of Reading Community Energy Society which aims to accelerate the uptake of community-owned renewable energy in Reading and the surrounding area.
Reading Community Energy Society comprises members from the local community, Reading Council and Energy 4 All, all of whom are passionate about increasing the amount of renewable energy in Reading. An important strand of their work is their Community Grants Programme. As a Community Benefit Society, they are committed to supporting sustainability locally, and offer grant funding between £100 and £5,000 to organisations to support a wide range of initiatives that deliver this aim.
Grant funding applications are invited for schemes which meet the following criteria:
- It will improve energy efficiency, reduce carbon emissions or support sustainability in the local community.
- It is based within or near to the Greater Reading area – within an approximate 15 mile radius of Reading Town Hall.
- Your organisation is not-for-profit, a charity, or an SME (Small or Medium Sized Enterprise).
- The grant is between £100 – £5,000.
Applications can be submitted at any time and the panel will sit four times a year: in May, August, November and February. The deadline for the May Panel is 7 May 2021.
Examples of the kind of project they can fund include:
- Contribution to replacing an inefficient boiler, with a modern, efficient one.
- Replacing inefficient fluorescent lighting with efficient LEDs.
- Room/equipment hire for a local energy awareness event.
- Installing a cycle shelter to encourage cycling to your building.
- Creating a vegetable garden for your organisation/visitors to use.
- Installing a water fountain to enable visitors to refill bottles.
- To see if your scheme is eligible, please see the Guidance Document and Application Form.
- You can find examples of projects Reading Community Energy Society have already funded, plus more information about what they do on their website.
- If you would like some support in applying or have any questions about a possible project, please contact Rhiannon at RVA by email: email@example.com or phone: 07458 327958.