HMRC have amended their guidance on which donations qualify for Gift Aid. This now includes waived refunds and loan waivers (which were previously excluded). There are certain requirements such as:
- there is a record of a formal waiver held by the charity
- all the other gift aid rules are met
- a gift aid declaration will need to be collected by the charity if one is not already held for the donor.
- You can read the full HMRC updated guidance here: Chapter 3.45 claiming gift aid on waived donations and loan repayments.
- NCVO also have a very useful guide to gift aid here.