Heritage can be anything from the past that you value and want to pass on to future generations. National Lottery Grants for Heritage fund a broad range of projects that connect people and communities to the national, regional and local heritage of the UK.
National Lottery Grants for Heritage is open programme for all types of heritage projects in the UK.
What are the funder priorities?
In 2021-22, National Lottery Heritage fund are prioritising heritage projects that will meet the following outcomes as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic. They are:
- promote inclusion and involve a wider range of people (a mandatory outcome)
- boost the local economy
- encourage skills development and job creation
- support wellbeing
- create better places to live, work and visit
- improve the resilience of organisations working in heritage
Projects must achieve at least our inclusion outcome. In addition, all projects must also consider long-term environmental sustainability.
How much can you apply for?
The grants range from £250,000 to £5 million.
Your required contribution will depend on the amount of grant you are asking for:
- Grant request: £250,000 to £1 million: a contribution of at least 5% of the costs of your development phase and 5% of the costs of your delivery phase
- Grant request: £1million to £5million: a contribution of at least 10% of the costs of your development phase and 10% of the costs of your delivery phase.
Guidance and how to apply
- Requirements: your project must not start before a decision is made on the grant and it must focus on heritage in the UK
- Before you apply, you must submit an Expression of Interest form to tell them about your idea and they will let you know if you are invited to apply
- Assessment process: your application will be assessed in 12 weeks and, following assessment, it will be assigned to a quarterly decision meeting
- Your contribution (partnership funding): you must contribute at least 5% of your project costs for grants up to £1million and at least 10% for grants of £1million or more.
Deadlines for National Lottery Grants for Heritage over £250,000 and when you can expect a decision:
- noon, 24 February 2022, to receive a decision by the end of June 2022
- noon, 26 May 2022, to receive a decision by the end of September 2022
- noon, 11 August 2022, to receive a decision by the end of December 2022
- noon, 17 November 2022, to receive a decision by the end of March 2023.
Please thoroughly read our supplementary document Priorities for National Lottery Grants for Heritage for 2021-22.