Please register by Wednesday 9 June to be part of the team – Register HERE
We are looking for event stewards to help out on Saturday 19 June at Water Fest, Reading’s largest free town centre-based community event. This will be the flagship celebration event to mark the 900th anniversary of Reading Abbey. It will feature an exciting mix of arts, culture and heritage, through live and digital performances, activities and workshops. Living history characters will help bring the medieval ruins to life.
This accessible one-day event will take place within the Forbury Gardens, Abbey Ruins and along the River Kennet. Visitors will prebook their entry and there will be limited capacity and staggered arrival times.
We are looking for a team of volunteer stewards to support the Reading Borough Council Events Team to help welcome visitors and manage the visitor flow, following the one-way system to reduce pinch-points. The one-way flow is inspired by the success of the Twilight Trails in Forbury Gardens in December.
You may be assigned to a particular activity such as a workshop, or to a specific zone.
To ensure compliance with government covid regulations, workshop and interactive activities will be booked in advance.
Throughout the shift you may be asked to help with
- Setting up or taking down gazebos and tables
- ‘Floating’ to check for any issues
- Greeting visitors with a warm welcome, helping and advising
- Ticket checking of arriving visitors for bookable events
- Assisting with an activity (including preparation, re-stocking and clean-up)
- Supervising a particular area
- Managing the movement of people through the one way system
- Cleaning touch-points such as handles for temporary toilets (disposable gloves and equipment will be provided)
- Encouraging visitors to comply with government covid regulations at the time, e.g. mask-wearing, and discouraging large groups from forming
Complete the form found HERE to join the team!
Reading Abbey Ruins https://www.readingabbeyquarter.org.uk/visit/how-get-here
Please attend the briefing session (approx. 1 hr) on Saturday 12th June at 2pm at the bandstand behind the Maiwand Lion in Forbury Gardens, to explain in more detail what to expect on the day.