Tackle isolation and enhance the quality of life of people aged 50+ that live alone
Befriending / Visiting volunteers needed for Age UK Berkshire
Age UK Berkshire offers a Befriending (home-visiting) service to people aged 50+ who are resident in the Reading Borough or West Berkshire geographical areas. The aim of the service is to enhance the quality of life of older people who live alone and have limited or no social contact, by offering companionship and support, usually by visiting them regularly at home
- To visit client(s) on a regular basis at a time that is mutually convenient
- To spend quality time during visits listening to and talking to clients, one-to-one
- To spend time with clients during visits creatively which, if appropriate, might further enhance their quality of life e.g. by reading to them or playing cards, Scrabble, doing crafts, etc
- Depending on the mobility/wellness of the client, it may be appropriate to accompany them on short trips outside the home, e.g. to the shops or garden centre
- To report back to the coordinator about clients on a regular basis following each visit
- To alert the coordinator to any concerns clients may have, or any concerns you may have about clients
Across reading and West Berkshire
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
Near public transport?
How much time?
A few hours a week
What times and days of the week?
Mon AMMon PMMon EVETue AMTue PMTue EVEWed AMWed PMWed EVEThu AMThu PMThu EVEFri AMFri PMFri EVESat AMSat PMSun PMSun EVE
Any of these times
Additional timing details
Times to suit the volunteer
Befriending / Visiting
Will suit someone like this:
Prefers a specific roleSelf organised/motivatedHappy to work soloGood sense of humourSociablePatientSupportiveCommunicatorWants to get out and about
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
Induction Safeguarding Lone working
Description of expenses
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
12 August 2021