Role: Trees for Reading Volunteers
We’re looking for one or two volunteers who are passionate about sustainability and specifically the benefits trees can bring to the urban environment to join our sustainability team. They will work with the lead director and existing volunteers to further develop and run our Trees for Reading initiative.
Trees in towns and cities create a haven for wildlife, improve air quality and lock away carbon. They help to cool the air in summer and absorb heavy rains. They also create a better ambience, helping to improve the mental and physical wellbeing of people who live and work nearby.
We’re seeking volunteers with a range of previous experience, ideally including liaising with senior business decision-makers, to support our Trees for Reading initiative.
The work may include the following activities, depending on your previous experience and preferences:
- Budgeting and financial control
- Helping to generate new income streams for the initiative
- Helping to run the initiative day to day
- Liaising with fellow volunteers to provide mutual support and sense checking
- Helping to come up with creative solutions to any issues that might arise
- Liaising with Reading Borough Council, Reading Tree Wardens and current and potential commercial partners, supporters and collaborators
- Helping to organise events and community engagement to raise awareness
- Volunteer induction and coaching
- Regular meetings with the lead Director
- Training on Ethical Reading (Microsoft) systems
- Volunteers monthly meeting and monthly “Friday drinks”
Skills & Experience Required:
- Good organisational and project management skills
- Good numerical and budgeting skills
- Some background in a related area (eg sustainability, urban planning, environmental sciences or arboriculture) would be helpful but is not essential
- Comfortable using a PC and online tools including email, SharePoint and virtual meeting platforms
- 4-8 hours per week
Other opportunities with Ethical Reading
Read more about Ethical Reading