Could you lend a hand with preventative conservation and help preserve our internationally significant collection?
Conservation / Restoration volunteers needed for River & Rowing Museum in RG9
Get up close with our archives and behind the scenes access to our object stores! We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to support our Curatorial Team to preserve our internationally significant collection.
What you will be doing:
Lend a hand with preventative conservation in the main object store. Activities will include:
- Carry out object condition checks.
- Undertake object handling and cleaning.
- Document collections in Excel and Vernon CMS collections database.
This would be a great opportunity for someone who…
- Has keen attention to detail
- Is interested in museum collections and working behind the scenes with range of material.
- Is looking to develop and apply knowledge and skills in collections care and management.
- Is looking to gain experience of the heritage and culture sector.
- Enjoys being part of a team.
Location address line 1
River & Rowing Museum
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
Near public transport?
How much time?
A few hours a week
What times and days of the week?
Mon AMMon PMTue AMTue PMWed AMWed PMThu AMThu PMFri AMFri PM
Any of these times
Additional timing details
Volunteering sessions will take place at either 9.30-12.30 or 1.30-4.30 and will be supported and supervised by the Senior Curator.
Conservation / Restoration
Will suit someone like this:
Prefers a specific rolePrefers a regular scheduleSelf organised/motivatedLikes team workKeen learnerPrecise and methodicalPatientLikes to get hands dirty
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
Training in object handling, manual handling, preventative conservation, working with mould, object cleaning, and ladder use.
Description of support
Vounteers will be supported by the Senior Curator
Description of expenses
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
1 April 2021
Other opportunities with River & Rowing Museum