Join in and feel good, helping to improve biodiverse in and around Reading and help us create healthier happier communities for everyone.
To keep activities safe, please follow the latest government guidance and only volunteer if:
- You’re well
- Nobody in your household has coronavirus symptoms (or awaiting a test result)
- You do not have any long-term health conditions that make you vulnerable to coronavirus
To keep everyone safe and minimise transmission risk, we will be disinfecting tools before and after use, not tool sharing, start the session with a thorough tool talk and risk assessment, encourage social distancing, offering regular hand sanitation breaks and running shorter sessions. Booking for each session is essential as we are capping numbers to reflect current guidance.
The project aims to enhance Berkshire’s biodiversity, mitigate effects of climate changes and help improve access to green spaces for everyone to enjoy. The team will be involved in various tasks such as:
- Managing woodlands
- Restoring heathlands
- Improving public access (via path, step, fence, stile and boardwalk construction and maintenance
- Caring for community gardens
- Planting hedges and trees
- And much more!!!
WHERE WILL THE REGULAR THURSDAY TASKS BE HELD?
The Biodiversity Action Team will be meeting every Thursday at various sites across Berkshire, and occasionally in neighbouring counties.
WHAT IS PROVIDED?
- Tools and equipment
- Work gloves for everyone (although you may wish to bring your own)
- Trained leader(s)
- First aid cover
- Public and personal liability insurance
- Refreshments (such as tea, coffee and biscuits) would normally be available (but during the pandemic, unfortunately, we are not able to provide these and instead request that you provide your own)
NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
You don’t need any special skills to join in, other than a willingness to get involved and have a go and a basic level of physical fitness. We don’t ask for a commitment from anyone for more than a session at a time. We provide on-site, informal training and guidance.
Volunteers 16+ are welcome but please note Under 18’s will need written consent from a parent or guardian
WHAT TO BRING?
Please come prepared for the likely weather conditions on the day and wear suitable work clothes. We recommend sturdy boots and long-sleeved tops and trousers. If you require them, bring along your own waterproofs, camera, money and personal medication.
Other opportunities with The Conservation Volunteers Reading
Read more about The Conservation Volunteers Reading