The School Nursing Team in Berkshire Healthcare supports support the health and wellbeing of school-aged children and young people who attend state-maintained schools, free schools and academy schools in Bracknell, Wokingham, Reading and West Berkshire as well as those who are home-educated.
In June this year, a telephone support line was set up as an additional service so that, despite Covid-19 restrictions in our schools, children, young people and their families could still access health advice, support and signposting from the school nurse. Although initially a response to the Covid pandemic, this initiative has proved popular and in response to feedback from service users is planned to continue.
Watch a video message from the School Nursing Team
Following the initial call, if it is felt necessary by the caller and nurse, a referral into our service is made to offer ongoing targeted support. Since the launch of this new initiative, we have received an increasing number of calls as awareness of the line has improved. These are a few of the comments we have received in our feedback evaluation.
- “Very kind and polite staff and extremely supportive”.
- “The school nurse I spoke to was very knowledgeable and really helpful”.
- “Great friendly service and I had no idea the range of support available. I heard about the service from my daughter’s school and thought I’d call”.
- “Nurse was very knowledgeable and sympathetic”.
- “Helpful, quick, easier then getting appointments and wasting doctors time”.
Currently parents/carers have mainly been calling the service requesting advice and support with a whole range of health concerns. We will again be promoting the service further to young people, year 9 and above, in secondary schools so they are also aware how to access this valuable support by speaking to a School Nurse directly.
If you wish to discuss a health concern of a school aged child/young person please call the team
- 0118 9312111 select ‘Option 4’ to speak to a School Nurse from our team.
- The line is available from 9am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
- Further advice and support on the health and development of children and young people can be found by accessing Berkshire Healthcare’s School Nursing webpages and our blogs.