The Open Grants Programme accepts applications from UK registered charities or not-for-profits and who meet the eligibility criteria, for funding towards capital projects. The work of the organisation must fit within one or more of the specified programme areas. This Programme does not award grants for work outside the UK, even if the organisation is a UK-registered charity. The specified programme areas are:
- Alcohol and substance misuse
- Disadvantaged minority communities
- Disadvantaged young people
- Domestic and sexual abuse
- Older people
- People with disabilities
- Prisoners and ex-offenders
- Visual impairment
Who can apply?
UK registered charities, CICs, and other registered UK not-for-profit organisations (including special schools).
What can be funded?
Grants are awarded towards capital projects which are defined as:
- Buildings: purchase, construction, renovation or refurbishment.
- Fittings, Fixtures, and Equipment: this includes but is not limited to office equipment/furniture, sports/gym equipment, digital/audio visual equipment, garden equipment, specialist therapeutic (excluding medical) equipment. It does not include equipment for one-off use, or which will be given to service users for personal use on a permanent basis.
- Vehicles: This includes a minibus, car, caravan, people-carrier, or 4X4. The total cost of a new vehicle is unlikely to be funded and they do not provide grants towards vehicle leasing.
You must be able to demonstrate that the work of your organisation fits within one or more of the programme areas, and that at least 50% of service users benefiting from the capital project are from one or more of those groups.
Is there a deadline?
This is a rolling programme.
- Your application is assessed by a Grants Officer and The Foundation’s Trustees. They may ask for further information and/or arrange a visit.
- They aim to make a decision within eight weeks for grants and projects less than £10,000 or within six months for grants over £10,000.