The Women and Girls Match Fund is a match funding campaign for charities that are working to improve the lives of vulnerable, disadvantaged or underrepresented women and girls in England and Scotland.
The Women and Girls Match Fund campaign is led by The Big Give – the UK’s leading platform for match funding – and supported by Rosa Fund, who are women and girls grantmaking specialists. I.G. Advisors, experts in social and environmental change, will also be supporting organisations that take part.
Which charities are eligible to apply:
To be eligible to apply, charities must meet all of the following criteria:
- Charities that are led by, for and with women and girls.
- Charities that are working to improve the lives of vulnerable, disadvantaged or underrepresented women and girls in England and Scotland.
- UK-registered charities with at least one year of filed accounts and an annual income of at least £25,000 (as per last filed accounts), or organisations with tax-exempt status for charitable purposes.
- Charities which are registered on theBigGive.org.uk (free to register).
- Charities seeking to raise either £2,500, £10,000 or £25,000 in public donations (to be doubled by the match funds).
What are the funder priorities:
The applications will be prioritised in their assessment process to:
- the charities that are led by Black and minoritised women and girls, LGBTQI women and girls, or Disabled women and girls.
- and the proposals that evidence a clear need for and offer activities to address other issues affecting vulnerable or underrepresented women and girls in Scotland or England will be considered.
How much funding is available:
A total of:
- £1,350,000 for projects based in England
- £150,000 for projects based in Scotland
- Charities will be awarded a small (£2,500), medium (£10,000) or large (£25,000) match-funding award.
What can you use the funding for:
The types of projects that can be funded include:
● Alcohol and drug abuse;
● Black, Asian, Minority and Ethnic groups services;
● Consequences of Covid-19 for disadvantaged women and girls;
● Education and employment;
● Engaging excluded and vulnerable women and girls through sport;
● Female offenders;
● Gender equality;
● Improving digital skills and knowledge;
● LGBTQI+ specific services;
● Tackling loneliness;
● Mental health;
● Multiple complex needs;
● Older women;
● Period poverty;
● Women and girls with disabilities; and
● Women and girls with learning disabilities.
Is there a deadline:
The key dates and how will your application will be assessed:
- Monday 13 December 2021 – Applications open. Charities share details about their organisation, how funds raised will be spent as well as how much they hope to raise in total through the campaign (either £5,000, £20,000 or £50,000)
- Tuesday 11 January 2022 – Applications have now closed. The Big Give will work with an expert panel to determine which charities will be successful in being awarded match funds and how much match funds they will be awarded.
- Friday 4 February 2022 – Notification. The Big Give will notify charities whether they have been successful in securing match funding and if so, how much they have been awarded (either £2,500, £10,000 or £25,000). The Big Give will then offer a free package of resources to all participating charities to help them market the campaign to their supporters.
- Tuesday 8 March 2022(midday) – Campaign opens. The campaign will launch on International Women’s Day at midday. Donations will be doubled by the charity’s Champion funds until the match funds have been exhausted or the campaign has closed, whichever comes first.
- Tuesday 15 March 2022(midday) – Campaign closes. The campaign will close and donations will no longer be matched.
How to apply for the Fund:
- Login to your Big Give account or create one here,
- Click on Big Give Campaigns,
- Click on Apply Now for Women & Girls Match Fund campaign when applications open on Monday 13 December 2021,
- In the targets section of the application, please enter either £5k, £10k, or £50k.
- Charities should consult the full eligibility criteria before applying.
Additional support for applicants:
- A webinar for potential applicants will be held at 12 pm on Tuesday 14 December 2021 to share more information and answer any questions. Please sign up here.
- you also can contact thebiggive with any questions.
Further support from RVA:
If you would like further support with submitting a funding application or any support with governance required for your charity to get ready for this funding, please contact Herjeet at email@example.com