The following has been provided by Reading UK CIC and may be applicable to some charities, who fit the criteria. Please also refer to the link below from Charity Tax Group for further information.
On 31 October 2020, the Government announced the introduction of additional support for Local Authorities under national and Local Covid Alert Level 3 restrictions. This support will take the form of a funding scheme in financial year 2020-2021 and can be used across financial years 20/21 and 21/22. The scheme is called the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG).
The ARG is intended to support those businesses who may not have had to close but whose operations will have suffered a significant impact as a result of further restrictions. Local Authorities have been allowed discretion over the allocation of the grant and Reading Borough Council has been awarded £3.3m in order to do this. It is intended that this funding should be used to support businesses affected by the restrictions until the end of the 2021/22 financial year. Reading Borough Council’s Additional Restrictions Grant policy was approved on 27 November 2020 and full details of the policy can be found here.
There will be a two week application window from 30 November 2020 to 13 December 2020. Applications received after this date will not be accepted.
There are 5 types of businesses that may be eligible for this grant.
- Type A – Businesses mandated to close in shared work spaces which do not have their own business rates assessment and can demonstrate fixed building-related costs outside of their residential property costs. The assumed RV will be based on annual rent or mortgage payment due in the financial year.
- Type B – Bed & Breakfasts mandated to close which pay Council Tax instead of business rates will be considered. The assumed RV will be based on annual rental or mortgage payments due in the financial year.
- Type C – Regular market traders mandated to close who do not have their own business rates assessment, but with fixed locations in the borough. The assumed RV will be based on an annual rent/licence payment due in the financial year.
- Type D – Support for businesses which are ancillary to the hospitality, retail and leisure industries and who have not received any business grants administered by the Council to date. This focuses upon businesses which have not specifically been required to close but have lost their main source of revenue as a result of national restrictions upon the industries to which they provide goods or services. Businesses may be local ratepayers or be able to demonstrate fixed building-related costs outside of their residential property costs. The rateable value will be that defined in the rating list, or an assumed RV based on an annual rent or mortgage payment due in the financial year.
- Type E – A hardship fund for rate-paying and non rate-paying businesses including self-employed individuals who have not received support under the previous grant schemes administered by the Council, or the schemes outlined above or, in relation to self-employed individuals, central government grant schemes including the self-employed income support scheme, and require further support due to demonstrable financial vulnerability. Businesses will where appropriate need to demonstrate fixed building related costs outside of their residential property costs and provide significant evidence of financial vulnerability. In determining these applications, we will consider the impact that the failure of these businesses would have on the economic development of the borough and on the business rates revenue of the Council.
How to apply:
- ARG Application Form
- The application form and supporting documents should be emailed to email@example.com
- The charity tax group has published this additional guidance to help you understand whether your charity may be eligible.