The formal bidding process through the open market and also through third sector process has now commenced for the Southcote Library building. Local voluntary organisations are invited to submit their proposals by 12noon on 16 January 2020.
The application process
- Applications and accompanying documents should be sent to: Committee Administration, Reading Borough Council, Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Reading, RG1 2LU.
- Please note that it is advisable to use guaranteed post/recorded delivery to ensure that your bid reaches RBC on time – no late bids will be considered. NB, if delivering by hand, please allow an extra 24 hours for the bid to reach us via internal post systems.
- Officers will assess bids on the basis of the value provided to Reading Borough Council of releasing the property in accordance with the council’s Third Sector Premises Policy Statement to a local voluntary organisation, based on the contribution to the council’s priorities as set out in the Corporate Plan.
- An application form and scoring system for bids are available from the officer contact listed below.
- All bids received from the Voluntary Sector will be reported to Policy Committee.
- The freehold of the property is being advertised on the open market by Haslams Surveryors LLP, County House, 17 Friar Street,Reading,RG1 1DB
- Sales Particulars – Southcote Library
Interested organisations should submit a bidding application form based on the following
- Proposal for use of the property: please provide an outline of your proposed use of the property and how this will benefit local council taxpayers, addressing the priorities of the Corporate Plan:
- Safeguarding and protecting those that are most vulnerable
- Providing the best life through education, early help and healthy living
- Providing homes for those in most need
- Keeping the town clean, safe, green and active
- Providing infrastructure to support the economy
- Remaining financially sustainable to deliver these service priorities
- Basis of your offer: please state whether the offer is subject to any terms and conditions such as building survey, planning permission, third party funding etc.
- Building summary: please set out a summary of the building in terms of current condition, potential opportunities and suitability for your proposed use. Please set out in sufficient detail a programme of any maintenance or improvement works you would wish to carry out at the property together with a cost summary and any related dependencies such as Local Listing, Building Regulations, Planning Permission etc.
- Supporting information: please complete the application form with the following information to support your bid:
- Details of your bid offer
- Details of your organisational structure including legal status, constitution, terms of reference etc
- Audited accounts for the last 2 financial years
- Evidence of your experience in managing a property, including managing a Listed property
- Evidence of access to an experienced property manager on an ongoing basis
- A description of your current activity in Reading and how it has benefited local communities or added value to local services
- Business Plan and budget to support your proposal specifically addressing matters relating to the proposed use and the building condition
The purchaser to pay the council’s reasonable legal costs including any abortive costs should a transaction not complete.
All viewing through the agents. Block viewings will take place on the following days. No appointment necessary.
- Tuesday 12 November 2019 at 10am
- Tuesday 19 November 2019 at 10am
- Tuesday 3 December 2019 at 10am
- Tuesday 10 December 2019 at 10am
- Tuesday 7 January 2020 at 10am
- Tuesday 14 January 2020 at 10am
For information on the third sector bidding process including an Application to Bid, please contact:
- Reading Voluntary Action, Community Place, Third Floor, Reading Central Library, Abbey Square, Reading, RG1 3BQ
- Email email@example.com or phone 0118 937 2273.
RVA is hosting a Buildings Meeting on 14 November at 10.30am to assist voluntary sector groups in understanding this process. More information and booking here.