Autism Berkshire has a series of free courses and workshops coming up before Easter, which are open to Reading, Wokingham and West Berkshire residents
These include a series of special workshops, run in conjunction with Acre’s Alafia service, to support the mental health and wellbeing of families with autistic children in the Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) communities.
Autism advice and support workshops for BAMER families
Subjects that will be covered during these workshops, which are funded by the Berkshire West NHS Clinical Commissioning Group through Reading Voluntary Action, include:
- Autism assessment and diagnosis in Berkshire
- How to look after your wellbeing and mental health and support your child
- Support available for your child, especially in education
- Other support available from Alafia and from Autism Berkshire, including the Berkshire West Autism & ADHD Support Service and welfare advice from the Autism Berkshire Benefits Service, plus help from other organisations.
They will take place from 1pm to 2.30pm on the following Fridays: March 19; March 26; April 23.
Assistance will be available for families who have limited access to the internet or need language translation to help them take part. One-to-one follow-up support will be provided after the workshops for anyone who needs further advice.
- Booking: To request places, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 07914 580184 or 07763 163777.
Wellbeing and Autism course
A six-week course, running on Wednesdays between 1pm and 2.45pm, from February 24 to March 31, to help support the mental health and wellbeing of children and teenagers before and after an autism diagnosis, as well as the mental health and wellbeing of their parents. The focus is on strategies to promote and encourage positive and sustainable changes to wellbeing for the whole family and to examine issues from both the parent or carer’s perspective and that of the child.
Volunteering Skills course
A six-week course, running on Mondays between 1pm and 2.45pm, from February 22 to March 29, to help people aged 18+ develop skills for volunteer work with Autism Berkshire. It covers topics including understanding autism and support available locally; Autism Berkshire and our volunteer initiative; listening skills; and teamwork. It is anticipated that those who join the course will go on to volunteer with Autism Berkshire on a regular basis.
Positive Thinking workshop
This workshop, on Thursday, March 11, 10am to 11.30am, is open to all parents and carers of children with additional needs, including autism and ADHD. This workshop aims to help parents and carers and those they support, to improve self-esteem, looking at how to approach life’s challenges in as positive a way as possible, including ideas and exercises to try at home for yourself and your child.
- Booking: if you would like to take part in these courses or to attend the workshop, email email@example.com and put the name of the course or workshop in the subject line. If you have any questions, please email or call 01189 594 594 (option 1).