Reading Borough Council are currently administering the Additional Restrictions Grant, a grant funding stream
About the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG)
On 31 October 2020, the Government announced the introduction of additional support for Local Authorities under national and Local Covid Alert Level 3 restrictions. The support takes the form of a funding scheme in the financial year 2020-2021 and can be used across financial years 20/21 and 21/22. The scheme is called the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG).
Under ARG, Local Authorities received a one-off lump sum payment. This will primarily take the form of discretionary grants but could also use this funding for wider business support activities. The ARG is intended to support those businesses who may not have had to close but whose operations will have suffered a significant impact as a result of further restrictions.
Local Authorities have been allowed discretion over the allocation of the grant and Reading Borough Council has been awarded £3.3m in order to do this, plus a further top up. It is intended that this funding should be used to support businesses affected by the restrictions until the end of the 2021/22 financial year. Reading Borough Council’s Additional Restrictions Grant policy was approved on 27 November 2020 and full details of the policy can be found here.
Two application windows have been available to make a claim, 30 Nov – 13 Dec and 4 Jan – 17 Jan. A third and final application window for the current financial year is available 08 March – 31 March.
There are 5 types of businesses that may be eligible for this grant
- Type A – Businesses mandated to close in shared work spaces which do not have their own business rates assessment and can demonstrate fixed building-related costs outside of their residential property costs. The assumed RV will be based on annual rent or mortgage payment due in the financial year.
- Type B – Bed & Breakfasts mandated to close which pay Council Tax instead of business rates will be considered. The assumed RV will be based on annual rental or mortgage payments due in the financial year.
- Type C – Regular market traders mandated to close who do not have their own business rates assessment, but with fixed locations in the borough. The assumed RV will be based on an annual rent/licence payment due in the financial year.
- Type D – Support for businesses which are ancillary to the hospitality, retail and leisure industries and who have not received any business grants administered by the Council since October 2020. This focuses upon businesses which have not specifically been required to close but have lost their main source of revenue as a result of national restrictions upon the industries to which they provide goods or services. Businesses may be local ratepayers or be able to demonstrate fixed building-related costs outside of their residential property costs. The rateable value will be that defined in the rating list, or an assumed RV based on an annual rent or mortgage payment due in the financial year (please note we have amended eligibility to include those business that previously received the Small Business Grant and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant)
- Type E – A hardship fund for rate-paying and non rate-paying businesses including self-employed individuals who have not received support under the previous grant schemes administered by the Council, or the schemes outlined above or, in relation to self-employed individuals, central government grant schemes including the self-employed income support scheme, and require further support due to demonstrable financial vulnerability.
RBC envisage that some charities may qualify under Type E and would welcome your applications
- If you are unable to apply before 31 March, please contact Samantha.email@example.com as arrangements can be made for the submission of a late return if required.
- Please apply here for the grant: apply for the additional restriction grant
Application data will be shared with the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy who will store it securely and process it for monitoring and evaluation purposes only. This includes, but is not limited to, follow up evaluation surveys relating to the business support grant schemes that we have administered on their behalf.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need support with applying for the grant.