A quick guide to the Family Information Service and SEND Local Offer

Who is the Family Information Service for?

It’s available to any family member taking care of children or young people aged 0 to 19 years old, or up to 25 years for children and young people with special needs. It’s also open to practitioners working with families in Reading. It is run by Reading Borough Council on behalf of Brighter Futures for Children.

What does the Family Information Service provide?

The Family Information Service provides free, impartial, individually-tailored information on any family matter, including:

  • childcare
  • early education and childcare funding for 2, 3, and 4 year olds, including the new 30 hour funding
  • children’s centres
  • support groups
  • things to do and what’s on locally
  • the SEND local offer
What is the SEND Local Offer?

SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. The ‘SEND Local Offer’ gives children and young people, and their families, information that enables them to access services and support which best match their individual needs and situation.

What information is available?

On the SEND Local Offer website, you can find information, advice and guidance, including:

  • details of early years settings, schools and further education colleges
  • local health services and provision for social care
  • information on local special needs support
  • guidance and services to assist in preparing children and young people for adulthood, including pathways to employment
  • information on advice and support for carers
  • special needs activities and short breaks
  • information on transport options
  • an interactive calendar of activities and events

There is also a quarterly newsletter, filled with news, information, and a what’s on guide. You can download the Summer 2019 issue here or from the SEND Local Offer website. You can sign up to receive the newsletter by emailing localoffer@reading.gov.uk or phoning 0118 937 3777 and choosing option 2.

How can I find out more?