The Giving Tree Appeal is organised by Connect Reading each year and collects Christmas presents for disadvantaged children and young people in the Reading area – this ranges from babies and toddlers, to teenagers who are living alone for the first time due to family circumstances.
Receiving a gift at this special time, and knowing someone has thought of them makes so much difference to the children who receive gifts from the Giving Tree.
Last year we collected over 2,500 gifts and worked with 17 local organisations and charities in Reading who support vulnerable children!
We need a very organised, detail focussed project manager to manage the Giving Tree project for Christmas, with support from the MD and trustees. (The MD will provide guidance and advice, and will also work with trustees at Christmas to help sort out gifts and pick up of gifts).
Our current project manager has managed the project since 2015 and is stepping down after this years project , so we need someone from Summer 2020.
The role involves:
– Emailing, chasing and liasing with charities to launch the project and collate their gift lists before beginning of November (qork usually starts end of Aug/beginning of Sept.)
– Emailing and liasing with Connect Reading’s local business members to see who would like to take part and managing delivery of gift tags to them when ready.
– Working with the MD and staff at The oracle to organise storage space, logistics, timings, etc.
– Sorting gifts as they start to come into the main collection point in the storage space provided, ready for distribution to charities the week before Christmas
– Once all gifts are in, If necessary, using donated funds to shop and purchase any missing gifts that have been requested but not bought or will be delivered too late
– Once the final date has passed, sorting gifts into appropriate piles for pick up by the charities – and liaising with charities re: pick up times, etc.
A guide to running the Giving Tree has been produced and the current project manager would be happy to meet and discuss the role with you, and support as needed with advice next year.
Nov - end Dec - for prime project time
there will be the occasional 1 hour meeting - notice will be given well in advance
This is a seasonal role
Read more about Connect Reading