WHO ARE WE?
Right now, 85 million people around the world have been made homeless by natural disaster and conflict. ShelterBox is a forward-thinking and fast-growing international disaster relief charity, specialising in the provision of emergency shelter to families affected in this way. By providing emergency shelter and tools for families robbed of their homes by disaster, we’re transforming despair into hope.
SHELTERBOX READING COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER
By joining our fantastic team of volunteers you will be helping ordinary people thrown into extraordinary circumstances.
Our volunteers are highly valued and all contribute in their own way helping build strong community links who raise our local profile and rally their communities. From organising a stall to inspiring local businesses, schools and groups there are lots of ways to get involved.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a difference, have fun, and meet like-minded people who are all striving to help families rebuild their lives after a disaster.
What activities could I be involved in?
There’s something for everyone to suit your availability and interests:
• Proactively building relationships with local organisations, community groups and schools, and encouraging them to support ShelterBox
• Bringing our work to life. We will provide you with our equipment (and training on how to use it!), so you can really show your community the difference our work makes
• Identifying and developing potential fundraising and promotional opportunities within your area
• Representing ShelterBox at local events
• Organising and holding collections in your local area
• Supporting our fundraising campaign Shine for ShelterBox by hosting your own event or encouraging your local community to take part
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
We are looking for volunteers who are good communicators; enjoy being part of a team; are friendly and reliable; and above all have an enthusiasm for spreading the word and rallying support within their local community.
How much time should I offer?
As much or as little time as you can give with enthusiasm and willingness to get involved and become part of the team. Whether it’s during the day, evening or at weekends, volunteers will often plan their activities around their other commitments. It’s all about how much time you want to give. As a rough guide, we often find volunteers give 2-3 hours a week.
Where will I be based?
In and around your local area.
Will I need my own transport?
Not necessarily but access to vehicle/good transport links an advantage
How will ShelterBox support me?
We will support you every step of the way and are always at the end of a phone. We have two face to face information and training sessions coming up in Reading in May:
May 17th 9.30 – 4pm in depth training
May 17th 6.30 – 8.30pm short introduction to our work
To register for this training visit shelterbox.org/do-something/volunteer
You will have the support of other volunteers in your local area and we will provide you with an array of materials to help promote your activities.
Read more about ShelterBox