Together we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. Whether it’s starring in their own films, walking with dinosaurs, going on an amazing holiday, meeting a celebrity hero, or having a bedroom makeover; our wishes are varied, personal and life-changing. We go above and beyond to grant amazing wishes to very amazing children; their One True Wish made a reality at a time when they need it most.
We are seeking organised and reliable individuals with great attention to detail and excellent communication skills to provide support to the Wish Qualification Team, particularly on the telephone and data entry. This role would suit someone who is looking to gain office experience or someone who’s got the experience and would like to use if for a good cause.
Why we need you:
This calendar year we’re aiming to grant more than a 1,000 wishes which is the most we would’ve ever granted in a year. In order to do that we need to make sure that we’re able to process as many referrals as quickly and as efficiently as possible. That’s where you’’ll play an important part. You’ll be making calls to medical professionals to ensure that the outstanding paperwork is completed and returned to us on time, so the children referred to us can receive their wish as quickly as possible.
What will I be doing?
As an office volunteer you’ll be supporting the Wish Qualification Team in managing new and existing referrals and wish applicants. Tasks will include:
- Calling medical secretaries to ensure that the medical documentation is completed and returned as soon as possible
- Calling wish families to ensure they complete any necessary documentation and to update them on progress of their application
- Updating our in-house database
- Contacting medical professional and families via email and fax
- General Admin tasks
What skills and attributes do I need?
- Excellent telephone manner
- Able to deal with sensitive conversations
- Good IT skills including Word and email
- Experience in using databases
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills—verbal and written
- An understanding regarding confidentiality and data protection
- Competencies, Communication, Flexibility & Passion
How much time do I need to commit?
We are ideally looking for a minimum commitment of one day a week, although we are flexible to what you can offer.
What support will I be given?
- Online Volunteer Welcome Induction about Make-A-Wish
- Training specific to your role will be provided
- Ongoing support will be provided by your designated Volunteer Manager
- Access to our online Volunteer Community – WishNet – where you’ll be kept up to date with latest Make-A-Wish news and information
- Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses
What will I get from volunteering?
- Office experience within charity sector
- Meeting new people and working in a friendly office environment in Central Reading
- Satisfaction in knowing you’re making a real difference to the lives of seriously ill children and young people
- Knowing that your work supports Make-A-Wish UK in granting more wishes to the children with critical illnesses
Read more about Make-A-Wish