We are seeking volunteer Gardening Assistants as part of our supported living scheme for service users with mental health needs. The service has a fantastic outdoor space where we run a gardening group, currently attended by up to 10 people a week. The group is a valuable opportunity for our service users to learn a new skill and have a different focus than their mental health. With the support of volunteers, we aim to expand the gardening group and encourage more service users to get involved.
As a Volunteer Gardening Assistant, you will assist service users and staff with the running of our weekly gardening group, The Gardening Bloomers. As someone with a friendly, approachable nature you will encourage and support our service users to take part in gardening activities to develop new skills, improve their wellbeing and socialise with others. Together, you will work in collaboration with our service users to develop a green space that everyone at the service can enjoy.
The gardening activities will include potting plants, carrying pots and using gardening tools and equipment, so this role would particularly suit someone who has experience in maintaining their own garden. Occasionally, if the weather is particularly rainy the gardening group will enjoy alternative garden-themed activities such as visiting local garden centres or meeting to discuss future plans for the garden.
This is a great opportunity for someone wanting to share their love and knowledge of gardening while giving back to their local community and working with adults with mental health needs.
Other opportunities with Creative Support
- Help support our residents to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of gardening
- Get hands on supporting crafts in the community!
- Help us run our varied programme of activities for older folks
- Take a look at this rewarding opportunity for you to be directly involved in enhancing the well being of our community
- Creative helpers needed for this arts group for older people
- Help others explore new experiences in this fantastic, rewarding and varied role
- Help facilitate this intergenerational group and help foster a greater sense of inclusion
- Do you want an active role in the community?
- Could you help our residents take part in a varied schedule of fun and stimulating activities?
Read more about Creative Support