Reading Town Meal is a unique celebration of home grown and local food. It takes place on Saturday 30th September in Forbury Gardens in the centre of Reading. There will be a delicious free meal, live music, workshops, community groups, family fun and a local producers market,
The event is organised by a partnership of key stakeholders and volunteers and each member of the steering group generally takes on an area of responsibility. They are supported in their role by the chair and, from July onward, by the Town Meal Intern. The role can be shared amongst more than one person where appropriate. Each role shouldn’t need more than an hour of work a week in the person’s own time, though it would probably be in concentrated periods of time.
There is a detailed Town meal plan, which outlines the general actions required by each role within a set time frame. Each member will be expected to complete the actions required and then report back to steering group at the next meeting.
We are looking to recruit anyone who is happy to help with one of the following roles but especially Volunteers, Publicity and Infotainment.
Liaise with local producers to coordinate the growing of vegetables and the collection of produce in September and its transport to Reading College.
—Stall holders (community)—
Contact community groups and organisations that support or promote community food growing or wider environment aims in the wider Reading area.
—Stall holders (local producers)—
Contact local producers who may want to have a stall at the event and to help identify local producers who may be able to help cover the short fall in produce needed for the Town Meal. Oversee the admin of booking stalls and completing required forms based on procedures used in previous years.
This role could include organising:
- the bands that will provide the back ground music to the day
- some activities for children
- any competitions such as baking or pumpkin competitions
One person may like to take over the responsibility for all these or just one aspect.
- Develop publicity plan based on last year’s plan
- Send out press releases, organise photo ops
- Invite VIPs
- Ensure website and Facebook pages are kept updated
- Supervise posters/ flyer design and printing
- Supervise program design and printing
- Review job descriptions and number of volunteers needed
- Design volunteer poster and online advert. Review list of places to advertise. Send publicity to list.
- Review volunteer registrations form
- Send out volunteer job descriptions and advertise dates for volunteer briefing meetings
- Update volunteer data base and keep it up to date
- Organise volunteer briefing
- Supervise volunteers on the day, organising breaks, shift changes and expenses.
- Marquee hire
- Loo hire
- Health & safety
- Equipment for cookery demos, etc.
- Audio visual
Read more about Reading Town Meal