Support U are looking for volunteers to join our frontline support team to answer the telephone, email, live chat and face to face questions our service receives in relation to sexuality and gender identities.
Our support services are isn’t just limited to those who are, define as, or think they may be LGBT+, it extends much further to include but not limited to; siblings, parents, grandparents and any other carers or guardians.
We know it can be great to talk and our private and confidential support service is there for those with questions or concerns about themselves or others. We cover a broad area of LGBT issues, here are a few different things we specialise in:
- Coming out.
- Relationships, domestic violence, abuse.
- Family problems.
- Safer sex and sexual health.
- Socialising and networking in the LGBT community.
- Issues at school, college or in the workplace.
Volunteers for this role will need to be confident in communicating with those seeking support via the telephone, messaging and email as well as face-to-face. Volunteers will be personable, empathetic and have the ability to build rapport with a diverse range of people.
Mandatory training is provided for candidates, and no previous experience is necessary (although we would love to see those who have a passion for Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender issues). Our Frontline Support volunteers will be expected to adhere to an agreed set of policies and procedures whilst undertaking the role.
Ideally, volunteers will be willing and able to commit to a regular time and day each week for a minimum of 12 months.
Support U endeavours to reflect the diversity of the people we support in our volunteer team. Therefore, we would be especially keen to hear from potential volunteers from the BME community.
Other opportunities with Support U
- Do you have a background in finance and/ or accountancy? Bring your skills to our Treasurer role
- Bring your skills to the mix and enhance our experienced board
- Handy person needed to help keep our space safe and welcoming
- Could you help create a welcoming environment for those attending our groups?
- Help us keep our outdoor green and social space in good order
Read more about Support U