If you are compassionate and sensitive, you can make a real difference to the lives of refugees and asylum seekers!
The Red Cross has a long tradition of providing practical and emotional support to vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers in the UK. Our Refugee Support work with thousands of beneficiaries every year in around fifty different towns and cities enabling people to draw upon their own strengths to withstand crisis and rebuild their lives.
We support refugees and asylum-seekers in a range of ways, from providing emergency provisions for those facing severe hardship to giving advice on how people can access services to which they are entitled. These services are provided in a safe and welcoming environment. None of this important work would be possible without the skill and enthusiasm of volunteers helping in a variety of ways.
The casework volunteer will work one-to-one with vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees to help them access suitable support services.
Typical tasks include:
- Providing one to one support to beneficiaries.
- Undertaking sensitive and comprehensive interviews with service users to assess their needs.
- Agreeing a plan of action with the beneficiary.
- Support the beneficiary to access other services, for example from the NHS, legal representatives and Social Services.
- Offering onward referral to relevant bodies as appropriate.
- Maintaining effective client records using our data capture system including communicating effectively with the Home Office case owner.
- Identify and respond appropriately to safeguarding and protection issues with vulnerable clients, including children and vulnerable adults.
- Working effectively with interpreters.
Other opportunities with British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area
- Could you help provide practical and emotional support in a crises? Become an Emergency Response volunteer
- Help us to enable people to live as independently as they can at home
- Help us drive our Mobility Aids service forward!
- Help people to remain independent by becoming a Mobility Aids volunteer
- Become a Community Connector and help tackle loneliness and social isolation
Read more about British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area