Sanctuary Hosting matches homeless asylum seekers, refugees and vulnerable migrants to people (our ‘hosts’) who are willing to have someone (a ‘guest’) to stay with them rent free, for a pre-defined period of time, while the individual is receiving support to explore routes out of destitution.
Host support workers provide vital support to the people who welcome guests into their homes. They are the main contact point for hosts and are essential in maintaining good links
and communication between a host and Sanctuary Hosting.
Main host support worker duties:
- Meet potential hosts who have applied to Sanctuary Hosting and inform them about the hosting scheme, and the work and ethos of the charity.
- Assess their appropriateness as hosts and risk assess the physical environment being offered.
- Provide ongoing support to hosts who have guests staying, to foster a successful hosting placement.
What we are looking for:
You need to be;
- An excellent communicator with good listening skills and a high level of spoken and written English
- aware of conflict and migration issues, and empathetic about the situation and needs of refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants
- sensitive to cultural issues
- willing to adhere to Sanctuary Hosting’s policies and procedures
- able to uphold confidentiality
- willing to undertake a criminal record check.
Tasks may include;
- Lead or assist in the assessment of prospective new hosts, including making a record of the assessment and providing feedback to Sanctuary Hosting
- providing support at move-in, when a new guest arrives at a host’s home
- be responsible for regular contact with a host by phone/email/visit. Review how the placement is going. Provide support to the host, including on any issues that may be causing concern, and alert Sanctuary Hosting if appropriate
- provide feedback to Sanctuary Hosting after regular hosting reviews
- liaise with the guest support worker, particularly in case of any concern/problem
- attend review meetings between the host, guest and guest support worker.
Other opportunities with Sanctuary Hosting
Read more about Sanctuary Hosting