Help us to raise awareness of Diabetes and our vital work
Information / Advice volunteers needed for Diabetes UK
Our speaker scheme volunteers give talks and presentations on behalf of Diabetes UK to groups in their local communities to raise awareness of diabetes and the work of Diabetes UK.
Main tasks and activities
– Attend a speaker scheme training session to learn more about diabetes and Diabetes UK and help develop your presentation skills.
– Approach groups in your local area to offer to give talks to their members.
– Present in a friendly and enthusiastic manner to a wide range of groups such as community groups, social clubs, local companies and organizations.
– Answer general queries and direct any medical or other specific questions to Diabetes UK or to healthcare professionals.
We are looking for people who are:
– Confident at speaking to groups of people
– Good communication and listening skills
– Enthusiastic and outgoing
– An interest in community-based health promotion work
– Ability to maintain confidentiality
– A commitment to support the work of Diabetes UK and represent Diabetes UK in a positive way
– A willingness to attend all briefings and training related to your role
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
Near public transport?
How much time?
A few times a year
What times and days of the week?
Mon AMMon PMMon EVETue AMTue PMTue EVEWed AMWed PMWed EVEThu AMThu PMThu EVEFri AMFri PMFri EVESat AMSat PMSat EVESun AMSun PMSun EVE
Any of these times
Additional timing details
You will need to attend a speaker scheme training session. Then you fit the talks into your existing commitments
Information / Advice
Will suit someone like this:
Self organised/motivatedHappy to work soloPublic speakerNetworkerGood sense of humourSociableSupportiveCommunicatorWants to get out and about
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
Induction and Speaker Training
Description of support
Regular contact, training invite for networking day and volunteer conference
Description of expenses
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
3 August 2018