Age UK Berkshire offers an Easy Shop service for older people who are unable to do their own shopping.
Volunteers phone clients regularly (every 1, 2 or 4 weeks) to check their shopping order. While they are on the phone, the volunteer places the order online with the supermarket for delivery to the client’s home on their chosen day and time, updating the client on any special offers, unavailable items, etc.
This service can be a lifeline for older and/or disabled people who are unable to leave the house, live in areas where shops are not easily accessible, or are unable to access the internet for themselves.
You should have:
- 2–4 hours free each week (ideally between 10am–2pm on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) to phone clients by appointment, place their orders and update your records
- an excellent telephone manner with the ability to speak clearly and listen carefully
- a kind, caring and friendly approach, showing empathy and patience with older people and helping them to get the best from the service
- computer skills, including using the internet for online shopping, updating spreadsheets and keeping accurate records (training in the specific system used will be provided)
This role can be carried out in one of our Age UK Berkshire offices, or on a home computer once you are familiar with the system and the skills needed. You will work closely with the Easy Shop Coordinator and other members of the team, and receive ongoing support.
Other opportunities with Age UK Berkshire
- Could you lead this county wide charity
- Join the board of this county wide charity
- Help make a difference to the lives of others
- Help support our range of weekly activities for people aged 50+
- Support the group instructor at our weekly Nordic Walking for Health group
- Help with the set-up and welcome at this weekly singing group for over-50s
Read more about Age UK Berkshire