The aim of the Support at Home service is to help our clients through a crisis by offering positive encouragement, practical help and emotional support. The length of time we support them will depend on their needs.
The individuals we help may be recovering from an illness, surgery or an accident, or may be struggling with a life-changing event. We aim to enable them to live as independently as they can at home. We do this by building trusting relationships and helping them to regain their confidence and well-being while working closely with health and social services. Volunteers can make the difference in preventing an admission to hospital or supporting a timely discharge at home.
Tasks included in this role:
- Visiting the service user on their arrival home from the hospital.
- Keeping someone company for a few hours at a time.
- Helping with practical tasks like shopping, collecting prescriptions and light meal preparation.
- Sitting with the service user and relieving the relative or carer of continuous care.
- Keeping paper records of contact and activities undertaken with the service user.
Other opportunities with British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area
- Develop your skills in first aid, communication and team work whilst helping to keep people safe
- Help us help people maintain their independence by being part of our mobility aids team
- Help keep our mobility aids service on the road
- Can you help lonely and socially isolated people connect with their local community?
Read more about British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area