As a Volunteer Gardener, you will work with and support the residents to maintain the garden and encourage them to enjoy the therapeutic aspects of gardening. The general upkeep of the garden is completed by the housing provider’s gardener, so the intention of this role is to help in sharing enthusiasm and expertise in light gardening activities while encouraging service users to participate.
Our residents would also love to develop a ‘sensory garden’ with scented herbs and flowers, which the Volunteer Gardener will support staff to create with input from residents.
This is a rewarding opportunity for someone with a love of gardening who would like to use their great communication skills and compassionate nature to make a difference in their local community.
Our Chimney Court Extra Care service in Tilehurst supports older people with a wide range of needs. We promote the wellbeing and social inclusion of our residents by offering a timetable of different activities and events for them to enjoy together. At a recent meeting there was interest in improving and maintaining the garden area of the service, however, residents explained that they weren’t always able to carry out the watering or weeding due to their mobility.
Our gardens include bird feeders, potted plants, raised beds and grassed areas.
Other opportunities with Creative Support
- Get hands on supporting crafts in the community!
- Share your love and knowledge of gardening while giving back to the local community
- Help us run our varied programme of activities for older folks
- Take a look at this rewarding opportunity for you to be directly involved in enhancing the well being of our community
- Creative helpers needed for this arts group for older people
- Help others explore new experiences in this fantastic, rewarding and varied role
- Help facilitate this intergenerational group and help foster a greater sense of inclusion
- Do you want an active role in the community?
- Could you help our residents take part in a varied schedule of fun and stimulating activities?
Read more about Creative Support