Branch Publicity Officer (BPO)
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
To raise awareness of Samaritans in the local community by coordinating all publicity and public relations activities within the Branch in order to recruit volunteers, raise funds and develop caller awareness.
a) To raise awareness of Samaritans in order to recruit volunteers, raise funds and develop caller awareness.
• To liaise with the branch committee so that branch publicity is based on branch needs and is kept in touch with branch plans.
• To agree with the branch committee a plan for publicity activities each year and draw up a strategy to achieve this.
• To co-ordinate all forms of publicity undertaken for the branch by volunteers and ensure they are working effectively together.
• With the help of the branch, to recruit publicity volunteers as required and to manage and support them.
• To ensure all publicity volunteers are given the opportunity to attend online training sessions organised by the General Office communications team or within a region.
• To organise branch participation in organisation-wide publicity campaigns by liaising with the communications team at General Office and the Regional Marketing Officer.
• To disseminate publicity materials from the product catalogue to target groups.
b) To act as the Branch Brand Guardian and ensure branch publicity organised by and for the branch is in keeping with Samaritans policy, best practice guidelines, including our visual identity and editorial style guides.
• To liaise with the Regional Marketing Officer on a regular basis, attend regional publicity meetings and co-operate with other branches and the region as required.
• To encourage other publicity volunteers to attend regional meetings.
• To work with the branch volunteer recruitment team to ensure all recruitment is supported by appropriate publicity.
• To work with colleagues in the branch to ensure fundraising activity is supported by appropriate publicity.
• To strengthen the reputation of the organisation by utilising promotional and press resources prepared by the communications team at General Office to ensure Samaritans branding and materials are used consistently and appropriately.
• To understand the importance of using prepared organisation-wide materials when promoting Samaritans to potential volunteers, callers and donors, and to advocate the consistent use of Samaritans visual identity.
QUALITIES & EXPERIENCE
• An outgoing person who will enjoy building up relationships with your local press, media and community.
• Someone with sound knowledge of Samaritans vision, mission and values are important.
• An excellent communicator, both oral and written.
• A natural networker, with an ability to create and maintain relationships with various organisations and bodies.
• Someone who is IT literate.
• A person with experience of publicity, marketing, PR, media or advertising would be helpful.
• Develop meaningful relationships with local organisations, including press, to strengthen the reputation of your Branch in your community.
• An opportunity to make a real difference to the success of the Branch – using publicity channels to fulfill Samaritans vision, mission and values.
• Be part of a supportive regional and national team who will support your development
Read more about Reading Samaritans