A Mobility Aids Spoke Volunteer will be on hand to deal with wheelchair requests and enter details onto a database. This key role will enable people to return home after an illness or surgery and help them to remain independent or go on a holiday or trip with friends or family. The beneficiary is at the centre of everything we do.
Typical tasks include
> Taking calls and enquiries from people wanting to borrow a wheelchair.
> Giving information about other Red Cross services, where appropriate.
> Updating service user records and other administrative tasks using computer based systems.
> Demonstrating how to use and look after our wheelchairs.
> Receiving and recording donations.
What we are looking for
> Is willing to uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhere to the Society’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
> Is willing to act in accordance with our values and behaviours framework.
> Is willing to uphold people’s dignity at all times.
> Is willing to attend induction and appropriate training.
> Is willing to use our IT systems and has basic IT skills.
> Enjoys meeting people and helping them to remain independent.
> Has good communication skills.
> This role requires volunteers to have a Criminal Records check.
Young People and this role
We value the energy and enthusiasm that young people bring to this role. To undertake this role you need to be 16+. However (subject to a risk assessment, safeguarding requirements and parental consent) those aged 15 can be involved in a variety of activities such as promoting the service, supporting other volunteers and undertaking training.
Other opportunities with British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area
- Arabic speaking interpreters needed
- Do your fingers dance across a keyboard? Offer non-frontline support to our teams
- Bring your skills and enthusiasm to help us carry out our important work
- Could you help provide practical and emotional support in a crises? Become an Emergency Response volunteer
- Help us to enable people to live as independently as they can at home
- Help us drive our Mobility Aids service forward!
- Become a Community Connector and help tackle loneliness and social isolation
Read more about British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area