The Stroke Association offers support to over 60,000 stroke survivors, carers and families every year to ensure they get the help they need. We are seeking volunteers to join our befriending team.
Befrienders offer support to stroke survivors and carers across Reading and Wokingham. In doing so they help to reduce social isolation and build the confidence and self-esteem of the people they support.
Tasks this role can include:
- Supporting people on a one-to-one basis according to their individual needs either face to face, on the phone, online or in the community.
- Spending time socially with stroke survivors and developing a supportive friendship for an agreed period of time.
- Supporting people to achieve personal goals.
- Supporting people to become more independent.
This might be the role for you if:
- You have excellent listening skills.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You are empathetic and non-judgemental.
- You are willing to try new things and adapt to the needs of the person you are supporting.
- You are able to work without direct supervision.
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience with a well-respected charity delivering sector-leading services whilst developing an experience of working with people who have been affected by stroke.
Other opportunities with Stroke Association
Read more about Stroke Association