Our Lively Living Activity and Lunch / Tea clubs offer clients an opportunity to meet up with friends as well as have a nourishing meal, and we want our clubs to be a comfortable and welcoming place for our clients to visit – the well-being and enjoyment of our clients is of first importance to us. We would expect our volunteers to work with us to achieve this aim.
Our clubs are run in Sheltered Housing residences based around Reading where we serve succulent food prepared by their canteens for our lunch clubs and prepare rolls and provide cakes at our tea club.
Most volunteers work weekly, but we are always happy to consider other arrangements such as working every other week. Volunteers will report to the club’s member of staff responsible for the running of the club on that day, and will be expected to work within the charity’s guidelines.
Key Responsibilities may include:
- Setting up – arranging tables and chairs as necessary, setting tables.
- Ensuring any clients with mobility problems are able to access the dining area.
- Welcoming clients as they arrive.
- Preparing and serving hot and cold drinks.
- Serving meals or handing out rolls and cakes.
- Push wheelchair clients short distances.
- Be friendly and caring.
- Have the ability to empathise with older people.
- Have a flexible attitude.
Want to know more about volunteering at an Age Uk club? Read Gabriele’s Volunteering Story
Other opportunities with Age UK Reading
- Help us make our Weirside Club a comfortable and welcoming place to visit
- Enthusiastic volunteers needed to help promote our work
- Put your imagination, creativity and energy to good use
- Help older people gain from the therapeutic benefits a well maintained garden brings
- Provide friendship and support to improve the quality of life for older people
- Have a huge positive impact on someone’s life by just picking up the phone
- Help us make our clubs a comfortable and welcoming place to visit
- Join our team at the Lively Living Activity Club Woodley
Read more about Age UK Reading