If you enjoy driving, like meeting people and are compassionate then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you provide people in their local community with wheelchairs and other equipment to help them get moving again after an illness or injury. Whether it is to help take a relative out, or take a child to school, it makes a difficult and distressing time a little bit easier. Spread the power of kindness with us and help make sure that everyone who needs one can get a wheelchair.
Volunteers will be driving from our office in Reading to help at our pop-up location in Hammersmith (Tesco, 180 Shepherds Bush Road, Hammersmith W6 7NL), ensuring that they have all the equipment needed for the pop-up to run. Initial availability for Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays preferred.
> Delivering and collecting wheelchairs (or other mobility aids equipment) – including overdue equipment (you will be driving a transit Van style vehicle up to and including a long Wheel Based version). You might also be driving to pre-arranged locations to operate a ‘pop up’ spoke.
- Loading and Unloading wheelchairs ready for daily runs.
- Issuing and receiving wheelchairs (or other mobility aids equipment)
- Setting up and operating the mobile ‘pop up’ spoke.
- Demonstrating how to use and look after our wheelchairs
- Dealing with enquiries from people wanting to borrow a wheelchair (or other equipment)
- Using a computer-based stock control system
- Receiving payments / donations and issuing receipts
- Signposting to other Red Cross services/provider (including the Mobility Aids Retail website)
These are just some examples. You will work within a great team and be fully supported by the Volunteer Coordinator.
Other opportunities with British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area
Read more about British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area