RCLC is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and committed trustee to help ensure the organisation is effectively managed and give time as a volunteer. The Board of Trustees takes collective responsibility for the management of RCLC, a charity and company limited by guarantee.
We are a local charity that provides a range of free, informal, non-accredited learning opportunities and social activities for marginalised and isolated women and some men from Reading’s Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities.
You will need to be able to make a commitment of up to 10 meetings per year. You will have strategic vision, independent judgement, an ability to think creatively and a willingness to speak your mind.
The role of a trustee is:
• to ensure that RCLC complies at all times with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
• to ensure that RCLC pursues its objects as defined in its governing document (e.g. the promotion of any charitable purpose for the benefit of the community in the Reading area and in particular the advancement of education, the protection of health and the relief of poverty, distress and sickness)
• to maintain proper financial control and ensure that RCLC applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
• to set and maintain vision, mission and values
• to develop strategy, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
• to ensure accountability
• to set up employment procedures and respect the roles of staff/volunteers
• to support the operational management of the organization
• to draw up and monitor the implementation of internal policies, which must include equality and diversity as well as health and safety policies and grievance and disciplinary procedures
• to ensure that risk assessments for all aspects of the business are carried out
• to safeguard the good name and values of RCLC to maintain effective board performance and ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity including funding, insurance and premises
• to promote RCLC
• to act in the best interests of the charity, never in the interests of yourself or another organisation
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience s/he has to help the board reach sound decisions.
We would love to hear from anyone who is interested in becoming involved in our work in this way.
Other opportunities with Reading Community Learning Centre (RCLC)
Read more about Reading Community Learning Centre (RCLC)