Citizens Advice Reading is an independent charity which has been giving free, confidential and impartial advice to the people of Reading for over 80 years. Last year over 8,000 people used our service and we helped them deal with over 22,000 different problems – most commonly problems with debt, benefits, housing, employment or discrimination.
Our support frequently changes their lives. We are governed and managed locally, but we are also part of Citizens Advice, a large and influential national organisation.
We are seeking new Trustees to sit on our Trustee Board. This is the governing body which sets the strategy for Citizens Advice Reading (CAR), decides its policies and provides overall leadership. In particular we are looking for Trustees who would bring:
- Skills and experience in areas such as law and compliance, strategic thinking, business planning, financial management and fundraising.
- An awareness of the needs and perspectives of Reading’s different communities.
The Trustee Board operates collectively, but each member of the Board is individually responsible for:
- Keeping up to date with the work of CAR
- Regularly attending, preparing for and taking a full part in meetings
- Actively contributing to setting strategy, deciding policy, agreeing targets and evaluating performance
- Monitoring CAR’s:
- Effectiveness in meeting the advice needs of the local community
- Compliance with its governing document and with Citizens Advice standards
- Financial position – ensuring that CAR operates within its resources, and that there are clear lines of accountability for day-to-day financial management
- Acting in the best interests of CAR at all times
- Maintaining confidentiality about any sensitive or confidential information received as a trustee
- Taking responsibility for their own learning and development
Applicants will need the personal skills and qualities that will enable them to meet these responsibilities. These will include the ability to:
- Think creatively and strategically,
- Exercise good, independent judgement,
- Work effectively as a member of a team,
- Communicate clearly in discussion,
- Understand CAR’s accounts (with the support of a treasurer),
- Develop and examine their own attitudes.
More details on the role and how to apply please click HERE
Applications, which should take the form of a CV and covering letter, should be sent by email to the address given in the contact section below.
Closing Date: Friday 4 December 2020
Interview Date: Tuesday 15 December 2020
Read more about Citizens Advice Reading