Age UK Reading is offering a service to patients in the older peoples’ wards in the Royal Berkshire Hospital.
The main tasks are:
- visit wards regularly each week
- if appropriate enhance the patient’s quality of life by reading to them, playing cards etc.
- help patients with their belongings, reaching things for them, picking things up from the floor, helping them with bed controls, TV or phone system
- understand and help patients prepare for their discharge from hospital.
There are a number of tasks that the volunteer would not be expected to do:
- personal care, e.g. feeding, dressing, assisting with toilet etc
- administering or advising on use of medications
- heavy lifting
- anything that the volunteer does not feel comfortable with
Contact person firstname
John Evans, Befriending Co-ordinator
Contact person's position
Their phone number?
Location address line 1
21 Craven Road
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
Near public transport?
How much time?
A few hours a week
What times and days of the week?
Any of these times
Additional timing details
The volunteer period will cover January-March 2019
Befriending / Visiting
Will suit someone like this:
Enjoys variety and changeLikes team workKeen learnerGood sense of humourSociablePatientSupportiveEmotionally robustPhysically fit
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
Is training given?
In conjunction with the Royal Berkshire Hospital
Is support given?
Description of support
Hospital staff and project co-ordinator
Are expenses paid?
Description of expenses
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
22 November 2018
Other opportunities with Age UK Reading
- Have a huge positive impact on someone’s life by just picking up the phone
- Provide friendship and support to improve the quality of life for older people
- We’re looking for a dynamic and energetic person to join our friendly board of trustees!
- Help us run our weekly coffee mornings!
- Help us by providing a strategic overview of our finances
- Join our team and help make our clubs comfortable and welcoming places for people to visit
- Put your imagination, creativity and energy to good use
Read more about Age UK Reading