Epilepsy Berkshire exists to give support to those living with epilepsy: to educate the community and organisations about epilepsy, to facilitate a sense of community ensuring that people do not feel isolated, to bring those together in a social environment where they can feel safe and supported giving support to the newly diagnosed, with help where necessary, such as guidance to organisations that can help them.
The charity has just taken its first steps, in setting up a support group at St Nicolas Church Centre, Earley, which provides the opportunity to meet with others in a safe environment and get involved in a range of social activities.
We are now seeking to recruit a volunteer to help us raise awareness of the work we our doing with our young charity and encourage more people to come along to our support group. We would like to find someone who can help us create and implement a communications strategy to help us deliver our message. This may involve:
- Researching similar groups to identify how they spread their message.
- In collaboration with others, identifying target audiences and how they can be reached.
- Suggesting content ideas for awareness-raising work.
- Helping refine content to make it compatible with our communication platforms.
- Creating guides to help others generate and post relevant content.
The role is likely to involve a mixture of strategic and hands-on work, creating a framework for our awareness raising work whilst also creating some initial content and managing our website and social media feeds. We would expect the volunteer to work alongside members of our committee and other volunteers to help them to contribute to the work.
We would anticipate that the right candidate for this role would have the following skills, qualification and attributes:
- A background or keen interest in communications, PR, journalism or marketing.
- Confident in using standard office software and online applications. A comfortable user of social media. Previous experience of using content management systems such as WordPress would be an advantage.
- The ability to work as part of a team with strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Access to a pc would be required and the candidate would have suitable IT skills
The role provides an excellent opportunity to play a leading role in developing the communications of a newly founded charity whilst helping those in the community find support and companionship. The role may be particularly suited to a student or someone seeking to develop their skills in a new direction.
Other opportunities with Epilepsy Berkshire
Read more about Epilepsy Berkshire