Champions to End Loneliness
Advocacy / Campaigning volunteers needed for Reading Voluntary Action (RVA)
Ready Friends is a campaign running over the next 3-4 months to recruit more befrienders and reduce loneliness and isolation in Reading.
Champions to End Loneliness can help in a range of way to help spread the word and encourage people to become befrienders and take other steps to reduce isolation and loneliness.
The role is flexible and could involve different things:
- Be a Champion in your place of work or study by putting up posters, organising a talk from befriending organisations (we’d get them on board, you would arrange a room and promote within your organisation) or helping to make changes in your workplace to ensure employees are less lonely.
- Host stall(s) at community events to promote opportunities to volunteer as befrienders
- Promote befriending in your neighbourhood and encourage increased neighbourliness through local events and looking out for each other.
- Deliver flyers in your neighbourhood to let people know about the impact of loneliness locally and what they can do to make a difference.
- Other activities within your place of work, study or other meeting place that you / we identify could help reduce loneliness.
We are holding a short workshop for anyone interested in becoming a Champion to End Loneliness to find out more about the role and how you can get involved. If you are already a team of people, you can also request a workshop for you and your team (minimum 8 people).
Please see more and register for the workshop at http://rva.org.uk/event/champions-to-end-loneliness-workshop/ or
The role can take place from home, where you work, study, socialise or other places you frequent.
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
Near public transport?
How much time?
A few hours a month
What times and days of the week?
Mon AMMon PMMon EVETue AMTue PMTue EVEWed AMWed PMWed EVEThu AMThu PMThu EVEFri AMFri PMFri EVESat AMSat PMSat EVESun AMSun PMSun EVE
Any of these times
Link to the related event
Additional timing details
Volunteering can take place at a time that suits you and can be a flexible commitment from a few hours between now and October, to a few hours every week.
Advocacy / Campaigning
Will suit someone like this:
Self organised/motivatedHappy to work soloInventiveNetworkerSociableCommunicatorHas a few hours to spare
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
There will be a short induction training session so Champions understand more about what the need is around loneliness in Reading, what different befriending organisations do, the role of the Champions, to meet other Champions and to share ideas about how to be an effective Champion.
Description of support
Volunteers will be part of a team, supported by RVA, receiving regular group emails as well as group and one-to-on meetings.
Description of expenses
Transport costs and lunch if volunteering for a full day.
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
11 May 2017
Other opportunities with Reading Voluntary Action (RVA)