We are looking for art loving volunteers to help invigilate our exciting Barbara Hepworth exhibition opening February 2018. Supporting the Front of House Team you will welcome visitors, provide knowledge of the exhibitions and ensure the security of the displays.
Gallery Assistants will enable the Museum to display Barbara Hepworth’s sculptures alongside rarely seen oil sketches and photographs from collections nationwide. The River & Rowing Museum’s Curatorial Department will provide training and give you a behind the scenes insight into the development of the exhibition over the past 18 months.
You can sign up to one of our Barbara Hepworth volunteer training days at the Museum. Gallery Assistant Volunteer training will take place Tuesday 23 January (11am-12pm) or Thursday 25 January (14.30pm-15.30pm).
More about ‘Barbara Hepworth: Finding Form’
The exhibition will celebrate the work of one of the country’s most eminent sculptors and explores the development of Hepworth’s iconic sculptures from the 1930s–1960s. Beginning with the human body and moving from the figurative into the abstracted, the exhibition will look at how Hepworth chose to interpret the forms around her in her sculptures.
A selection of lesser known oil on board works, showing Hepworth’s experimentation with geometric shapes and colour during the 1940s will also be on display. The exhibition is the first time that Hepworth’s works will be shown in Henley on Thames.
Support from curatorial and operations staff will be available to volunteers at all times. Introductory training will be provided by the exhibition curator.
• Welcoming visitors to the exhibition, providing guidance and directions where necessary
• Invigilating the gallery, ensuring the protection and security of artworks
• Potential to assist with installation of exhibitions and events
• Providing information on the Museum’s wider programme of exhibitions and events and permanent collections and displays
• The Museum is open from 10am – 5pm, 7 days a week
• Gallery shifts are 11-1.30 pm and 1.30 – 4 pm and we are ideally looking for volunteers for at least one shift a week or fortnight
• After the training session you can sign up to our rota by visiting the museum, by email, or over the phone.
Read more about River & Rowing Museum