We are seeking arabic speaking volunteers to act as interpreters as part of our refugee support service.
The Red Cross has a long tradition of providing practical and emotional support to vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers in the UK. Our Refugee Support work with thousands of beneficiaries every year in around fifty different towns and cities enabling people to draw upon their own strengths to withstand crisis and rebuild their lives.
We support refugees and asylum-seekers in a range of ways, from providing emergency provisions for those facing severe hardship to giving advice on how people can access services to which they are entitled. These services are provided in a safe and welcoming environment. None of this important work would be possible without the skill and enthusiasm of volunteers helping in a variety of ways.
More details of our work with refugees can be found on the Red Cross website: www.redcross.org.uk/refugees
Typical tasks include:
- Facilitating communication between caseworker and service user by providing interpretation and/or translation services, either by telephone or in person.
- Interpreting/translating according to the British Red Cross Interpreting Guidelines.
- Assisting clients in completing forms in their own language if required.
- Identify and respond appropriately to safeguarding and protection issues with vulnerable clients, including children and vulnerable adults.
What we are looking for
You need to have good interpersonal, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills although full training will be given for any technical requirements. Also someone who is:
- Interested in interpreting and/or translation and able to verbally communicate fluently and/or write in the language required (as well as in English).
- Willing to use their proven listening skills to support others.
- Interested in and has an understanding of issues around working with refugees and asylum seekers.
- Personally resilient as you may need to deal with difficult or challenging situations.
- Able to use emotional support skills in a calm and responsible manner.
- Able to keep the service user at the heart of what you do, supporting the Red Cross to understand service user needs and the difference our role makes.
- Available to work at short notice if necessary.
- This role requires a criminal record check to the appropriate level.
- Willing to uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, adhere to the Society’s Equal Opportunities and Confidentiality Policy.
Other opportunities with British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area
Read more about British Red Cross – Thames Valley Area