Aged 14-18? Encourage children to take part in and complete this year’s summer reading challenge!
Support volunteers needed for Reading Borough Council – Central Library
We are looking for young people aged 14 to 18 who can encourage children to take part in and complete this year’s Summer Reading Challenge, the BEANO themed Mischief Makers!
Tasks will include:
– Talking with, and listening to, children aged 4 to 12 about the books they have been reading and suggesting other things they may like to read.
– Understanding the way the Summer Reading Challenge works so you can help the children and their parents and carers.
– Handing out reading rewards.
– Helping children and their parents/carers fill in forms or register online at some branches.
– Assisting with the administration, e.g. filing of membership cards.
– Helping library staff run specific Mischief Makers events and craft activities.
Training supervision and support will be provided.
Branch Libraries across Reading
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
Near public transport?
How much time?
A few hours a week
What times and days of the week?
Mon AMMon PMTue AMTue PMTue EVEWed AMWed PMThu AMThu PMThu EVEFri AMFri PMSat AMSat PM
Any of these times
Will suit someone like this:
Prefers a specific rolePrefers a regular scheduleSelf organised/motivatedHappy to work soloPrecise and methodicalGood sense of humourSociablePatientSupportiveCommunicator
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
Given by Children's Lead or from the Branch Manger of the Library in which you will be volunteering.
Description of support
From Branch Manager and other staff
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
1 May 2018