With graded walks to suit all levels of fitness and speed, from gentle operation recovery to fast aerobic exercise, there are weekly walks, monthly walks and walking trips by coach that are all led by qualified and experienced walk leaders. The weekly and monthly walks are all free, the coach trips currently cost £5.00.
They are a great way to discover your local community, the surrounding areas and areas of natural beauty farther afield. You also get to meet new people, increase fitness and benefit your health.
We hold an annual Walking Forum, usually in early summer, for Reading’s residents to have their say and to give us their ideas on improving the service we provide.
We offer both Local and Outward Bound Walking Trips throughout the year. We also offer Walk Leader Training and the ability to set up Walking Clubs.
You can find an up to date list of all walks at www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder/south-east/reading-walks-programme
Our objectives are to:
- build on existing walks and recruit new members
- recruit voluntary walk leaders to make walking groups sustainable
- establish new walks in the borough especially near GP’s surgeries
- make residents aware of the social and health benefits of walking
- liaise with community groups and give talks
- develop promotional materials and promote walks in community services such as doctors’ surgeries, libraries and community centres
- use new technologies to make walking more attractive and more accessible
We are training up new Volunteer Walk Leaders which has enabled us to reinstate several walks that had lapsed.
We always need Volunteer Walk Leaders to help develop more types of walks around the borough apart from the regular weekly walks in the parks.
We will offer walking trips and monthly walks in the nearby countryside