The Emergency Duty Service provides a statutory social care service out of normal working hours for all six unitary authorities within Berkshire, i.e. Bracknell, Slough, Wokingham, Reading, Wokingham and West Berkshire.
Bracknell Forest Council is the host authority and provides the necessary staffing, ICT equipment/support and office accommodation.
The objective of the service is:
- To respond to emergencies where immediate social care intervention is required to safeguard a vulnerable adult or child
- to respond to all statutory referrals to the unitary authorities
- to offer single point of access
- to undertake initial screening for those individuals who find themselves in need of emergency accommodation
- crisis intervention where there is significant welfare concerns that cannot wait until the next working day.