Voluntary organisations have a responsibility to ensure that people who use their services or who are involved in their activities are kept safe and not harmed as a result of their involvement. All children and adults have the right to be safe from harm and should be able to live free from fear of abuse, neglect and exploitation.
It isn’t possible to completely remove all risk but organisations can do many things to make sure any risk is kept to a minimum. The key objectives of RVA’s guidance in this area of policy and procedure are:
- To explain the responsibilities which organisations, their staff, volunteers and trustees have in respect of child and vulnerable adult protection.
- To provide an overview of child and vulnerable adult protection.
- To provide generic procedural guidance that will be implemented where protection issues arise.
The documents below will give you guidance about the issues and how to approach your group’s safeguarding obligations and the needs of your members and users. Do contact us if you require advice on how to develop your policies to reflect the requirements of your organisation or project.
Contact us on 0118 937 2273 or email email@example.com
All the information is for guidance purposes only – please seek specialist advice if you have a particular issue to resolve.
- DBS Guide for Voluntary and Community Groups
A guide for voluntary and community groups working with children or vulnerable adults and to identify which volunteer and paid posts require the post holder to be DBS checked, at what level and for which workforce i.e. children or adults. The guide also provides additional sources of guidance and help.
- Flowchart for ‘Regulated Activity’ when working with Adults
This handy flowchart courtesy of Knowhow Non-Profit will help you determine whether the activity that you are providing is ‘regulated activity’ when you are considering DBS checks for those working with Adults. If it is, you will need an Enhanced and Barring List Check for Adults.
- Flowchart for ‘Regulated Activity’ when working with Children
This handy flowchart courtesy of Knowhow Non-Profit will help you determine whether the activity that you are providing is ‘regulated activity’ when you are considering DBS checks. If it is, you will need an enhanced and barring list check for children.
- Free online safeguarding resources from NCVO
Every charity, voluntary or community group, regardless of type and size, should be a safe place for all its beneficiaries, supporters, volunteers and staff. The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) has published a comprehensive collection of free resources – briefings, guides, tools, podcasts and videos. They are straightforward, practical and based on real world experience in the voluntary sector. If you are a voluntary or community group within Reading and you would like additional assistance in understanding these resources or guidance on adapting them to your own organisation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org ...
NSPCC provides a wealth of online advice and materials related to safeguarding of children.
- Safeguarding Adults – Key Contact Details
Key contact details for Safeguarding Adults services in Berkshire
- Safeguarding Adults – Reading Borough Council
Information about abuse relating to vulnerable adults, spotting signs of abuse and relevant contact details
- Safeguarding Children – Children’s Single Point of Access (CSPOA)
The place to make referrals in Reading about a child you are worried about, this is anyone from pre-birth to 18 years old, or up to 25 years old for for children and young people with special needs.
- Safeguarding Children – Key Contact Details
Key contact numbers for safeguarding children services in Berkshire
- Sample safeguarding policy and procedures
Includes the content of RVA’s own policy, explanations of relevant terms and links to sources of further information.
- Template Reporting Form for Safeguarding Adults at Risk
This template Reporting form for Safeguarding Adults at Risk has been prepared for voluntary and community groups offering services to Adults.