Do you know British Sign Language? Can you communicate effectively with deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing communities?
Reading Deaf Centre promotes independence and equality of opportunity for deaf people living in the communities of Reading, Wokingham and West Berkshire. They are looking for an Information Officer and Centre Coordinator who can support the deaf and hard of hearing community by providing information and advice, and ensure the smooth running of the centre.
Responsibilities of this varied role will include:
- Supporting Reading Deaf Centre to implement the philosophies and principles of the organisation.
- Being the first point of contact for enquiries to the centre by phone, email or in person.
- Promoting the centre and room hire facilities, and liaising with centre tenants.
- Assisting deaf people with completing forms and signposting to appropriate social services when required.
- Researching relevant topics and providing information and advice to the deaf and hard of hearing community.
- Proposing deaf awareness initiatives and assisting in the preparation of material and exhibitions.
Experience and attributes required:
- CACDP level 3 British Sign Language.
- Ability to allocate and prioritise workload.
- Experience of providing administration support.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of dealing with people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, internet and email.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure. Ability to use own initiative.
- Experience of providing information both in an informal and formal setting to individuals and groups.
18 hours per week: regular working hours will be Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9.30am to 3.30pm.
Please send an email to email@example.com and we will send a full job description and requirements. A CV is required. You can also text on 07305 175937. No voice messages please.