Thanks to funding from The National Lottery Community Fund we are recruiting for a Family Adviser to join our busy Family Support Service. The postholder will support parents and carers of children and adults with learning disabilities and autism by providing information, advice and advocacy to resolve issues affecting their lives due to their learning disability. This can include:
- Understanding, using and appealing the benefits system
- Cuts to Social Care services including care assessments, care planning and appealing charges for care
- Poor housing in inappropriate areas
- Managing debt
- Reporting hate crime and harassment
- Safeguarding referrals, Deprivation of Liberty
- Child protection and support for Court of Protection
- Adults detained under the Mental Health Act.
This will be achieved through home visits, attending and accompanying clients to meetings, reviews, tribunals, appeals and Family Courts, our help-line and through carer and adult support and social groups.
Ideal candidates will be calm, non-judgemental, persistent, a good communicator and enjoy working as part of a team.
To apply, please download the job description from our website, complete an application form, and return to email@example.com or post to Reading Mencap, 21 Alexandra Road, Reading RG1 5PE.