Data protection can seem like a daunting prospect, especially for many charities and small organisations. This course will give you an understanding of what your responsibilities are under the current Data Protection Act. It also provides practical tips on how to process personal and sensitive data without breaching the Act, as well as getting ready for the new General Data Protection Regulations that will come into force on 25 May 2018 in the UK, that will affect also affect all charities and community groups.
What will you learn:
- Understand the eight principles of the Data Protection Act
- Understand how it applies to the personal and sensitive data you collect, use and process
- Gain an ability to identify potential areas of concern
- Have an understanding of how to reduce the risk of a data breach
- Have an understanding of the potential impact of the future change to regulation (GDPR)
- Understand how Data Protection fits with Freedom of Information, Information Sharing and Information Security
Benefit to you:
You will leave the session with some practical tools and ideas for managing personal and sensitive data and ensuring you comply with the Data Protection Act and forthcoming GDPR.
Who should attend:
This course is suitable for anyone who handles personal and sensitive information, either through paper or electronic records. The Data Protection Act applies to any charity that collects, uses or holds personal or sensitive data.
This course is primarily for Reading-based groups and spaces are limited. If your group does not operate in Reading, please contact us so we can place you on the waiting list and let you know of any available spaces nearer the time.
The course will be deliverered by Kelli Peters of Databasix. Having originally worked within the NHS on data projects, Kellie now delivers workshops to voluntary oranisations, as well as to businesses, with a people-focused approach to data management that aims to improve data quality and encourage ownership at a local level.
The course is at our reduced rate of £40 for Reading based charities and community groups