All charities, voluntary and community groups have a duty to keep their service users safe from harm. As most charities and community groups run through the hard work and dedication of volunteers, it is important that volunteers as well as paid staff receive basic safeguarding training.
This training is Universal Safeguarding Children. There is separate training for anyone working with vulnerable adults.
This course will cover:
- Basic information on Child Protection and Safeguarding Children and Young People
- Types of abuse, including child trafficking, child sexual exploitation and FGM
- How to recognise abuse: the signs and symptons
- What to do when you recognise abuse: the referral process
- The importance of a multi-agency approach in safeguarding children and young people
- Safe practice
By the end of the course you will:
- Understand the importance of Child Protection and your role within it
- Have an improved understanding of signs and indicators of abuse
- Understand local Child Protection procedures and what to do if you are concerned about abuse
- Be clear about sharing information with others
- Have developed confidence in dealing with Child Protection issues appropriately
Who should attend:
Anyone who works or volunteers with a charity, community or voluntary sector group in Reading whose work or volunteering brings them into contact with children or young people in whatever circumstances, whether they are new to the role or require a refresher.
It is good practice for staff and volunteers to attend annual refresher training to ensure they are kept up to date on practices for safeguarding children and young people.
These sessions are hosted by RVA and will be delivered by approved Safeguarding Trainers, who have received training via Reading Borough Council, Safeguarding Children Services. All trainers have experience of the voluntary sector and safeguarding children.
The venue and accessibility:
The training will take place in the RVA Training Room, Third Floor, Central Library, Reading, RG1 3BQ. Please note that the public lift is currently out of order. If you are mobility restricted, please attend the ground floor reception and ask if they can assist you in using the staff lift to the third floor to attend RVA Training. The library opens at 10am. Refreshments and registration in the RVA Training room from 10am, the session will start at 10.15am.
Please book through the link below. The cost is £10 per person and includes refreshments and handouts.