Acre is hosting its third Pan-Equality Conference with the theme “My identity: who am I, and how do you see me?” on Thursday 30 March 2017 at RISC from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Refreshments will served. The themes will be:
Identity being multi-faceted:
- how you identify yourself
- how others identify you: friends, acquaintances and strangers may all be different
- how society identifies you.
Homing in on current sentiments and reactions after Brexit:
- what does ‘Britishness’ mean?
- does it mean the same to every community /culture?
- does it even vary from individual to individual within the social constructs of a ‘community’?
What actually are ‘British values’?
‘Finding a basis for commonality and social integration are the great challenges of our time.’
Discussion: Can we reclaim these terms? Can we reach a common consensus on British values — surely these are human values? Does adding the word British invoke separation in itself? Can more informed understanding of the nuances of identity contribute to a move cohesive society?